18 Dec Holiday Furnace Maintenance Tips
Keep your home warm through the holidays by keeping your furnace in good condition. These furnace maintenance tips will help keep your heating system in good condition through the holiday season.
Furnace Maintenance Tips:
- Shut Down Your System – Before you take any steps towards furnace maintenance, you need to first shut down your system. This means turning off the electrical power, as well as the fuel supply. In many homes, this will be a distinctive red power switch plate near your cellar stairs.
- Clean the Combustion Chamber – A buildup of soot can cause the chamber walls to corrode. Scrape out built up carbon using a small wire brush and use an industrial shop vacuum to remove any loose material in the chamber.
- Inspect the Flue Pipe – Check for any holes in your exhaust flue pipe. This could leak carbon monoxide if your system isn’t working properly!
- Replace Your Oil Filter – If your system runs on oil, you’ll need to replace your oil filter to keep the system from clogging. First, close the oil valve. The, remove the old filter and replace it.
- Change Your Air Filter – You should check your air filter once a month to see if it’s clogged. Many filters need to be cleaned or replacement once every couple of months.
If you run into any problems with your furnace this year, contact our office. Our experienced technicians are here to help with all of your furnace repair and installation needs. We even offer 24/7 service to Pittsburgh, Mt. Lebanon, Cranberry Township, Ross Township, and the surrounding areas – so you will always have access to heating service and care all through the holiday season.