11 Jun Reduce Your Ac Cost This Year
Heating and cooling costs can make up nearly 43% of your monthly utility bill, according to the Department of Energy. Fortunately, there are simple ways to reduce these costs during hot summer months. Here are a few tips to help you keep your home cool and your energy bill low.
Summer Cool Down Tips:
- Gardening – Most of the heat that enters your house is from the sun shining through your windows and doors. Planting leafy trees and plants around your house can stop the sun from reaching inside of your home. You can also use plants to shade your outdoor air conditioning unit to boost efficiency.
- Window Screens – Place window screens on your east and west facing windows. They can help reduce energy before it gets into the house.
- Basement – Hanging out in your basement is a great way to stay cool without blasting the AC. However, you shouldn’t open basement windows when the air is humid.
- Cooking Habits – On hot days, avoid using the stove or oven. You can also reduce indoor heat by turning on your kitchen exhaust fan after cooking.
- Maintain or Replace your AC Unit – Keep your air filters clean and allow for good air movement around your air conditioning unit. This will help make sure any condensation drains properly. If you are due for an AC replacement, consider an energy star option! Replacing your AC unit can cut your energy costs in half, according to the Department of Energy.
You can also contact Wahl Family Heating, Cooling, and Plumbing for all of your air conditioning needs. We offer complete repair and installation services. Visit our website or call (412) 265-2662 to learn more.