31 Mar Why Do I Need a Water Filtration System?
Fifty billion bottles of water are purchased each year, and 80% of them end up in landfills. Many people buy bottled water because they are concerned about the tap water in their homes not being suitable to drink. Even if you think your tap water is fine, you should install a water filtration system in your home and ask yourself these questions about your drinking water.
What’s in my drinking water?
- Chloramines: Many companies are now cleaning water using this chemical that is created by adding ammonia to chlorine. While it kills bacteria more effectively, chloramine carries risks for bladder cancers, as well as kidney, liver, and nervous system problems.
- Heavy Metals & Pesticides: Even with cleaning processes, there can still be traces of heavy metals and pesticides in your drinking water. These can cause a multitude of health problems if they enter your body in large amounts.
How do I know if my water is contaminated?
Your drinking water may be contaminated if:
- It’s cloudy. Minerals in your water should be 99.9% pure, so if your water is cloudy, don’t drink it.
- It’s orange or brown-colored. This one’s a given. Don’t touch water that is discolored like this.
- It smells like rotten eggs. While some sulfur smells are normal, too strong of a smell is a bad sign.
- It has sediments. Since water is drawn from the ground, some sediments are normal, but too noticeable of sediments indicate a serious problem.
Water filtration systems help get rid of contaminants and provide a cleaner, better taste to your drinking water. Not to mention, by having a water filtration system, you’ll be able to use reusable bottles and save thousands of plastic bottles from ending up in landfills.
Wahl Family Heating, Cooling, and Plumbing can install water purification systems and water softeners to your home, so you can rest easy knowing your family is safe from contaminants. We’ve been serving the Pittsburgh metro area since 1980, so call us today at (412) 265-2662.