09 Aug Carbon Monoxide Myths
When you use any kind of gas system in your home — a furnace, a stove, a gas dryer — you need to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide. Even though this is something everyone should be properly educated about, a few carbon monoxide myths have made their way into the mainstream, so we need to set the record straight.
Carbon Monoxide is Not Dangerous
Wrong! Over 500 people in the U.S. die each year due to carbon monoxide poisoning. That number shocks us for one main reason — CO poisoning is 100% preventable when you take the proper precautions.
You Can Easily Detect CO Yourself
No, you can’t. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas, so your body won’t be able to detect it until you’re already experiencing the harmful effects of CO poisoning.
CO Detectors Shouldn’t Be on the Ceiling
There’s this idea that CO is heavier than air, so your detectors shouldn’t be on the ceiling since the gas won’t reach them. However, CO is actually lighter than air. What’s more is that no studies have proven that the height location of your CO detector affects its ability to sense the gas.
Still, it’s best to follow your manufacturer’s instruction when placing your carbon monoxide detectors around your home.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning is Like Any Other Poisoning
We’re not talking about food poisoning that makes its way through your digestive system. CO poisoning blocks your brain from getting enough oxygen, resulting in a number of dangerous effects to your mental functioning.
CO Detectors Don’t Do Much
Completely false. CO detectors are inexpensive, last for years, and easily detect CO gas, protecting you and your family from the dangerous effects of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you don’t already have them in your home, install them ASAP.
Our professionals can help you prevent carbon monoxide by keeping your HVAC system in good conditioning and installing carbon monoxide detectors in your home. Visit our website or call (412) 265-2662 to contact our professional technicians or visit our website for more information.