25 Jan Gas or Electric Furnace: Which is Better?
When it comes to your home heating system, it’s important to know all the options you have in order to keep your home as comfortable as possible, as affordable as possible. A popular method homeowners use is a furnace system that heats and pumps air throughout their homes. Since furnaces can be powered two main ways, you should always consider what power source will work best for your individual home. So gas or electric furnace — which is better?
- Powerful Heating Ability: Gas-powered furnaces usually provide stronger, more efficient heat than electric-powered ones.
- Less Expensive Utility: In many areas, it is cheaper to use natural gas to power your utilities than it is to use electricity.
- Pairs Well with Heat Pumps: This way, you can have one seamless system to keep you warm in winter and cool in summer.
- Gas Line Difficulties: If you don’t already have one, it can be difficult, and sometimes impossible, to install a natural gas line in your home.
- Carbon Monoxide Safety: Using natural gas puts you more at risk for gas leaks and carbon monoxide poisoning, so you’ll need CO detectors installed in your home.
- Somewhat Safer: Since you don’t have to use natural gas, you don’t have to worry as much about carbon monoxide leaks.
- Easier Installation: Electric furnaces are easier, and often cheaper, to install since there isn’t a need for separate gas lines.
- Quieter: Electric furnaces typically function more quietly than gas ones.
- Less Efficient Heating Ability: Electric furnaces create original heat instead of transfer heat like gas furnaces do, so they are not as efficient.
- More Expensive Utility: Electricity tends to be the more expensive utility in most areas compared to natural gas.
Still struggling to determine if a gas or electric furnace is better for your home? Let the heating and cooling experts at Wahl Family Heating, Cooling, and Plumbing help! We can assess your home to determine exactly what type and size HVAC system is best suited to keep your home comfortable all year round.
For more information or to schedule a service, give us a call at (412) 265-2662.