How Can I Recognize the Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

How Can I Recognize the Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

It’s called the “silent killer” for a reason. Carbon monoxide can come from any fuel burning appliance, including your home’s heating system, water heater, and stove — and unfortunately, without the proper precautions, you likely won’t be able to detect a leak until it’s too late. This is especially true during the cold winter months when doors and windows are closed. In order to protect your family from its dangerous effects, learn to recognize the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Know the Danger Areas

Regularly check the areas and appliances where carbon monoxide leaks are more likely to occur or where too much of CO can be produced. These areas can include:

  • Furnace systems
  • Gas stoves
  • Unvented fireplaces
  • Generators
  • Gas-powered heaters
  • Garages
  • Basements

Know the Health Symptoms

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Confusion
  • Drowsiness
  • Chest Pain
  • Shortness of Breath
  • Blurred Vision

The best way to protect yourself against carbon monoxide poisoning is to have carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home and to make sure they are working properly. The professional technicians at Wahl Family Heating, Cooling & Plumbing can help you with installing your carbon monoxide detector and making sure that your heating system is in good working condition. Call 1-855-GET-WAHL to contact our professional technicians.