24 Jun Diagnosing HVAC Sounds
Hearing a strange noise coming from your air conditioner?
Separating the common buzz from an unusual clank can be difficult. If you find yourself wondering, “Is that sound normal?,” diagnose your sounds with the following guide:
- Squeaking or screeching: Squealing noises from the blower motor can be a sign of a bad belt. Belts should be replaced before they break to avoid further damage.
- Popping: Metal ductwork expands and contracts as the system turns on and off. Popping sounds are typically caused by the movement of the duct walls as a result of temperature changes. If these sounds get really loud, it’s time to call a professional HVAC technician to diagnose the problem.
- Clicking: It’s normal to hear a bit of clicking, especially after you have turned your unit off. But if you hear repeated clicks from your outside compressor, your relay might be defective. In some cases, an electrical control might be the cause of your relay to timeout and fail.
- Rattling: A rattling noise is a possible indication of loose hardware or a failing motor. The louder the sound, the more serious it usually is. A professional HVAC technician can address your air conditioning issue and eliminate the noise!
- Banging: Hearing banging sounds when the blower is running is sign that something is broken.Turn off your unit and give the professionals at Wahl Family Heating, Cooling & Plumbing a call!
Wahl can help you diagnose and repair your air conditioning system so that you and your family can stay cool all summer long. Call (412) 265-2662 to schedule an appointment for a consultation or visit our website to learn more about our services.