10 Nov MAINTAINING A CLEAN GARBAGE DISPOSAL: TIPS & TRICKS!
TIPS & TRICKS From the Experts!
The majority of individuals are off from work on Thanksgiving and Black Friday, but plumbing technicians are working nonstop! Is it true that Black Friday is the busiest day of the year for plumbers? The leading cause of problems is clogged toilets, kitchen sinks, and garbage disposals. Whenever family and friends are all together under one roof, we see a surge in plumbing repair and drain cleaning requests.
Garbage Disposal Don’ts
Fat, Grease, and Oil
It is crucial to understand that any type of grease or hot liquid fat should not be poured down the drain at any time. Grease cools and hardens as it flows through the drain, so it is best to pour cooled grease into an empty can or jar with a lid. Alternatively, you may line a coffee cup with aluminum foil, pour the grease into the cup, and then throw away the foil when it is completely cold. When using your waste disposal, run the cold water while it is on and for a few seconds after as well. This helps to harden any fats and oils, preventing them from sticking to the pipes.
Fresh and Clean Tip!
If you want to clean and freshen up your garbage disposal, try using some citrus peels, such as lemon, lime, orange, blood orange, or grapefruit.
Fix a Clogged Garbage Disposal
1. Turn the power off at the breaker box.
2. Remove the rubber splash guard.
3. Use a flashlight to inspect for the source of the clog.
4. Use tongs to remove the object(s). *NEVER stick your hands down the disposal.
5. Turn the power back on at the breaker box.
6. Reset the garbage disposal with the little red switch on the underside of the disposal itself (underneath the sink).
7. Turn the cold water on and hit the garbage disposal switch
If that doesn’t work, it’s best to call Wahl Heating, Cooling & Plumbing!