20 Dec Why Is My Water Heater Not Working
After a long day out in the cold, you probably want nothing more than to come home, take a hot shower, and go to bed. But what happens when there’s no hot water and you end up with a cold shower? If your water heater isn’t doing its job properly, there are a few things you might want to check out.
Reasons Why Your Electric Water Heater May Not Be Working
- Grounded Element: If your heat element is not working, you’ll need to have it replaced.
- Accidental Grounding: If there are stray objects running across the electric wires, your water heater may not power properly.
- Tripped Reset Button: If your reset button keeps tripping, you may have a faulty part. Replacing it should fix the problem.
- Leaks: If water is leaking out of a component, you may be able to tighten the part to fix the problem. However, if water is leaking from the tank itself, you’ll need to replace the tank entirely.
- Frayed Wires: If the electrical wires on your unit are frayed or damaged, they could cause a direct shortage. You’ll want to replace those wires right away to prevent starting an electrical fire.
Reasons Why Your Gas Water Heater May Not Be Working
- No Gas: It may sound silly, but make sure you have enough gas to power your water heater and that the valve is open.
- Thermocouple: The tip of the thermocouple should be in the flame of the pilot light, so if it’s not, you may need to replace this component.
- Defective Supply Line: If your gas line is clogged, bent, or has any holes, your heater may not be able to do its job, so replace any damaged lines as necessary.
- Dirty Burner: Over time, soot can build up on your burner and prevent your unit from working properly. Cleaning the burner regularly can prevent this.
- Bad Ventilation: Strong winds or even pests can block your flue from properly ventilating or extinguish the pilot light. Clean the flue to prevent the pilot from going out.
If you’re in need of water heater repair in Pittsburgh, contact the experts at Wahl Family Heating, Cooling, and Plumbing. We’re here to help guide you towards the best water heating system for your home needs and your wallet. For more information or to schedule a service, call us at (412) 265-2662.